Following are a few frequently asked questions (FAQ)
1. What is EPF?
The Employee provident Fund of India or EPF India works under the directive principles of State Policy. A provision for securing the right- to work, education, unemployment, old age, sickness & disablement needs to be made by every state in India.
2. What is Nomination?
Wife/husband, children, whether married or unmarried, including adopted children can be nominated to collect the pf balances if any. Member can nominate a person in his family to receive the funds in case of his death or major illness.
3. What Are The Various Forms For PF?
Form 13 - For transferring the Provident Fund account of a member from one establishment to another establishment covered under the act / scheme.
Form 14 - Application for financing a life insurance policy out of Provident Fund account.
Form 19 - To be submitted by a member to withdraw his Provident Fund dues on leaving service/retirement/termination.
Form 20 - In the event of death of member, this form is to be used by a nominee / family member to claim the member's Provident Fund accumulation.
Form 31 - For the use of Provident Fund members to avail advances / withdrawals as provided in the scheme.
4. What are the periodical returns to be sent by an employer to the Provident Fund Office?
The employer of an un-exempted establishment has to forward the following returns. These returns will include details required under the three schemes namely, Employees Provident Fund Scheme, 1952, Employee Deposit Linked Insurance Scheme, 1976 and Employee Pension Scheme, 1995.
5. What Is The Mode of Payment of Provident Fund Dues?
Provident Fund dues are to be paid by money order or deposit in bank accounts through employer or by depositing cheque in payee name or part of the is paid by money order/ by deposit in payees' bank a/c/ through employer/ by depositing the cheque in payees' name or part of amount in annuity scheme in any nationalized bank.
6. What is the time duration for disposal of the application in the Provident Fund office?
30 days if the claims received has all the completed forms and papers in place.
7. What is the voluntary rate of Provident Fund contribution by the member?
As per the Act, the member has to contribute at the rate of 10% or 12% of his basic pay, D.A. & retaining allowance if any. In case the member wants to contribute more than this, voluntarily he can do so at any rate he desires. i.e. upto 100% of basic and D.A. But the employer is not obliged to contribute at that rate..
8. General Instructions for a member while sending application to Employees' Provident Fund:
- Use the correct form for claiming Provident Fund, withdrawal benefit/scheme certificate.
- Ensure that all columns of the application are filled completely.
- Information in the application form relating to name, a/c no. should agree with the details available with Employees' Provident Fund Organization; which were furnished by the employer at the time of enrolling to Provident Fund.
- Application should be signed by the member/claimant.
- It should be attested by the former employer. In case attestation by the former employer is not possible, it should be got attested by any other authorized official specified with application form.
- Application for final settlement can be sent by a member on completion of 2 months from the date of leaving service, if the reason for leaving service is other than superannuation, medical ground, retrenchment and V.R.S./ Female members getting married etc.
- Desired mode of payment can be given legibly, if the amount involved is more than Rs. 2000/-. The amount will sent by deposit in payees' bank a/c. To facilitate this, Bank a/c no., name and address of the bank should be furnished. An advance stamped receipt should also accompany this application.
- Application may be supported by the return Form-10, showing the details of leaving service and details of contribution for the year in Form-3A, if not sent earlier by the employer.
- In Case of death of the member, Nominee/legal heir should apply in Form-20 /Form-10-D /Form-5IF.
- If the member has not executed any nomination, application should be supported by certificate of family members issued by employer/revenue official/sworn in an affidavit by the family/ member/legal certificate from a court of law. Death certificate of the member.